Brexit Green Card Requirements

Brexit Green Card Requirements – Further Reminder and Update

As a consequence of leaving the European Union (EU), the UK entered a transition period which ends on 31 December 2020. In the event there is no agreement on the future relationship between the UK and EU, it is likely there will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card when driving in Europe.

During the lead up to the 1 st January 2021 and since the deferral date of the 31st March 2019, we have been working together with a large number of our clients, predominantly in the Freight and Cargo Sector, to ensure a seamless transition and issue of annual Green Cards.

If we haven’t spoken to you directly yet, and you feel you will be affected by the changes, then please get in touch as soon as possible, so we can arrange the documents you will need.

Who does this affect?

  • Freight companies who transport goods to and from the EU.
  • Motorists who cross the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border.
  • Motorists who plan to drive their vehicle in Europe, e.g. a family holiday in France.

The Association of British Insurers is advising both businesses and holidaymakers to apply for the proof of insurance at least one month before they wish to travel.

What is a Green Card?

The Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that proves a motorist has the minimum third-party insurance cover required by law in the country they are visiting. Those who travel in the EU without one after the 1st January 2021 will be breaking the law. EU motorists travelling to the UK will also need to apply for a Green Card.

Northern Ireland customers – Customers based in Northern Ireland, will need a Green Card to be able to drive into the Republic of Ireland.

For customers wanting to take a trailer or caravan – A separate Green Card is required for any towed vehicle. Insurers will also require the chassis number for each trailer to be noted on the card.

Do I need to request a Green Card immediately?

  1. Yes – If you already have your vehicle outside of the UK and are not planning to return before 1st January 2021
  2. Yes – If you are due to take your vehicle outside of the UK prior to 1st January 2021 and are not planning to return before 1st January 2021
  3. Yes – If you regularly travel between UK and the EU. An annual green card will need to be issued.

In these circumstances please contact us ASAP as insurers can take up to 21 day for the cards to be issued.