Latest News

29 July 2021

 Back To List

Change to Green Card requirements for UK motorists travelling to Europe


Remember when things were simpler? Before Brexit; before obtaining Green Cards for your staff if they were driving to Europe; before we became an island again.

You probably know that since 1st January 2021, the Government’s guidance for all UK drivers was the requirement to have a Green Card when traveling within the EU/EEA. That includes your staff travelling there for work.

However, this is about to change. On 30th June 2021, the European Commission confirmed that the UK will be re-admitted into the Free Circulation Zone.

What does this mean to you and your business?

It means that from 2nd August 2021, Green Cards will no longer be required as proof of a valid motor insurance policy when travelling through the EU & EEA states. However, we recommend that Green Cards should be arranged until September to avoid any issues with local Border Authorities within mainland Europe. Also, travel with your  Certificate of Motor Insurance as evidence of your insurance.

At least that’s one less thing to worry about.

For further clarification, contact our Commercial Division, or consult the Government’s website.

James Groves

Assistant Manager – Commercial Division

020 7330 8707