The life-saving abilities of smoke alarms have been recently highlighted after an incident in North Wales, where a woman and two young girls survived a blaze after being alerted by their device.
North Wales Fire and Rescue has revealed that the woman, her young daughter and niece were able to get out of the property in Pwllheli unharmed. The blaze completely destroyed the lounge and caused severe smoke damage to the rest of the house.
The need for Smoke Alarms
Simon Talbot, fire safety enforcement officer for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said this incident showed how smoke alarms can save lives. He stated that the occupants did exactly what should be done in the event of a fire - get out, stay out and telephone the fire brigade.
Smoke alarms act as an early warning signal and can prevent smoke inhalation. Indeed, toxic smoke can quickly kill. As well as installing smoke alarms, people also need to regularly check them to ensure they are working. Mr Talbot said smoke alarms can "mean the difference between life and death". It just shows the powerful benefit of such a simple solution, yet far too often we read the tragic consequences where alarms are not present or, crucially, not maintained”.
The main cause of accidental fire is the misuse of appliances and equipment which are mostly related to cooking. Electric blankets, candles and chimney fires are also common causes of property blazes. "Their primary purpose is to save lives. However, the advantage of this early detection means that there is a better chance to reduce the property damage because of the early attendance of fire-fighters."
For more information on domestic fire-safety please contact Richard McLeod (Private Clients Manager)